Tuesday, June 23, 2009

BOOK REVIEW--"A Book Lover's Delight"

During my secondary and college schooling my history teacher was always a coach for some sport. Let me say right now that I have great respect for someone working for an educator’s wages who has the results of his/her work available for very public scrutiny and often published in the next day’s paper for open discussion. Nevertheless, my history teachers were prone to pontification and were so unorganized that the school year was over before they reached events after World War I. Of course I picked up the general idea of world events in the latter part of the twentieth century from outside reading and movies. And there is nothing like good accurate historical novel, or personal accounts such as The Diary of Anne Frank or The Hiding Place to help you get the feeling of events. Such a book is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It is recently published and is a New York Times best seller. It is “a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German Occupation and of a society as extraordinary as its name.” We had an exchange student stay with us from the island of Jersey which is next to Guernsey in the English Channel, so I at least knew a little of the location. I had seen The Others staring Nicole Kidman, which means a lot more after reading the book. I am familiar with the beautiful Guernsey and Jersey breed of cows, if that counts for anything. The book (now in paperback) is written in the form of letters between the characters of the story. At first I was not sure I liked it, (but that may have been because I read the first few pages while trying to stay awake waiting for DH in a doctor’s office). Some reviews call it “A book lover’s delight,” and, “a small masterpiece.” I very much agree.

9 comments:

Janie said...

Sounds like a book worth reading. My history teachers never got past WWI either. Must be a national plague.

Cindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy said...

Thanks for the great review. It sounds like a really good book.

DayPhoto said...

Thank you for this book idea. I have family from the Jersey Islands so to read more about it will be wonderful!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Jeannelle said...

Thank you, Leenie, for the info about this book. It sounds like a good one! I was glued to "The Hiding Place" book and movie years ago. Astounding story. It is good to read personal accounts of what people experienced during that terrible time.

Woman in a Window said...

Sounds like an interesting one. I sure wish I read more than 5 pages a night. Perhaps I could fit that one in. (Now do you know why it takes me so long to make the blog circuit...5.pages.a.night. Slow reader is an understatement.)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Shall look out for this, it sounds my sort of book.

Linda Sue said...

I will be looking for that book now than you- I am reading "House on the Strand" at the moment, writen in the late 60's- you may have read it already, seems everyone has- It is a WTF story so far and most intriguing...I can alomost hear MOODY BLUES tunes as I read...trippy trip.

ELIZABETH said...

I loved the book. I happily add my recommendation.