Sunday, April 4, 2010

SMOKING GUN

It was one of those mornings when I squandered a few a lot of precious minutes reading blogs. I was just going to visit one or two, but overnight a lot of brilliant posts had appeared. Now I was really running late for work. A quick shower, clothes and a slice of toast. All I had left was to apply a few layers of paint to my face so I wouldn’t scare children, do something with my wet hair, and rush out the door.

I was in the bathroom working over my wet mop when: PTANG! BeeeZang! FizzT! and my blow dryer stopped humming and started shooting sparks. Then all went quiet and I was left standing there holding a smoldering weapon. Kinda felt like Dirty Harry--

“I know what you're thinking. "Did she fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?”

But my smoking gun dryer was useless against sopping hair. In fact the dryer was totaled. I tossed it and went for the next best source of hot moving air; the furnace vent in the floor. So there I was kneeling with my head over the heater vent and my rear in the air. This was inelegant in so many ways. And my hair was still wet. FINE. I drove to work with my head to one side over the warm air coming out of the dash vent. There is no law (yet) against driving and drying.

6 comments:

Linda Sue said...

That has happened to me SO many times- When I go to Fred meyer now I always buy a couple extra and put them on the grocery tab...nobody is the wiser...In fact thanks for the reminder- I need to go pick up a couple - I am down to teo...Of course they are made in china...You are lucky to have GOOD hair- you could get away with anything with that hair- I, on the other hand, have air hair and if it does not meet a forceful flow of hot air it sticks to my head like gauze. Attractive, yeah!
This lavendar plant is the prettiest girl ever! Really a beauty! I am going to put in front where it will get the most sunshine and keep fingers crossed that when winter comes again...and it will...she will not freeze. Maybe cover her with culch and straw, that might be a good idea for the winter shite.
LOVE you,
ls

Linda Sue said...

I don't know what teo and culch is...I am being possessed by the bad spelling demon~

Bill S. said...

Great story. I love it. Growing up with seven sisters during the 1960 when hair dryers were rare part of getting ready for church was driving three sisters with their heads sticking out of the window to dry them. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Anonymous said...

Another brilliant post! Next time try wearing a hat - just the thing for a bad/wet hair day!!

Laura said...

so I have to ask; did anyone compliment you on your hair style that day? hehehe It always seemed to happen to me when I felt that I had a bad hair day, someone would actually say how nice my hair looked! maybe yours did too?

Krista said...

Your post, as Dirty Harry said "made my day!" So funny! I had a hand surgery just over a year ago and couldn't do my hair at all and I had about 8 weeks of bad hair days. I would beg my teen daughter to blow dry and straighten my hair for me. But the other days, with wavy hair, I really looked like I let myself go. Ha! The visual of the heater vent - classic!