Monday, October 10, 2011

WORKING UPSTREAM

Another watercolor finished with a fisherman in mind.
Using several photos for reference I drew up a value sketch 
at the size I wanted for the painting--10 inch by 14 inch.

I transferred the drawing to Arches watercolor paper, stretched it by wetting
and stapling it to gator board.  I protected the man and some highlights with
liquid masking and laid in a few green washes.

I added darks and details working mostly from back to front.

When most of the splashy part was done I removed the masking and went 
to work on details.
Final painting I'm calling "Working Upstream."  
Knowing fish almost always face into the current,a fisherman approaches a 
big rainbow trout's suspected location from directly downstream.

This painting and several others are available for purchase on my Etsy site--
Watercolors by Leenie.  Just click on the red icon upper left of this 
blog to see more...all at ridiculously low prices.

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

love the light! nicely done!

Terry and Linda said...

I am so impressed with your work. I hope your store is very profitable for you!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Debbie said...

this is beautiful...you have mad talent!!

CarrieBoo said...

I love the combo of humour and artistic talent you've got going here, Leenie. You're brilliant! The rocks and water look sooo good. I definitely have to check out your store.

The Weaver of Grass said...

This is beautiful Leenie - thank you for showing us how you did it in easy stages.

snowwhite said...

Leenie,
Leaves and stream are reflecting light, and beautifully shining. I feel as if I could see a big rainbow trout under water. I am always amazed with the process how to complete such a wonderful water-color painting. Your work is so exquisite!
Best wishes,
keiko

susan m hinckley said...

Just lovely! It's like watching magic to me to see the picture appear. Thanks for photographing the process as you go. BTW, my oldest daughter (the one with the very prestigious art degree) saw your painting in my house for the first time the other day and loved it! (High praise -- she doesn't always agree with my choices, so I thought you'd like to know.)

Anonymous said...

Full of admiration Leenie 'coz I just can't seem to manage watercolours. Wonderful to see the process.

Buttons Thoughts said...

I am so amazed every time you explain this I know how difficult water colours are you do beautiful work. B

Butternut Squash said...

I love your description of the process. Absolutely gorgeous work!

Sarah said...

I love the light too!

Carla said...

Your gift/talent amaze me. I guess we all have something, and you have found yours.
Beautiful!