Tuesday, April 25, 2017

National Poetry Month Day Twenty-Five

Prompt: Take a moment to scan a few of today’s headlines and find a story that really irks you and gets you irritated. Title the poem by using a creative variation of the headline title. Create irregular stanzas and odd line breaks, allowing your poem to have a life of its own as you write quickly—try not to edit yourself, but tap into your subconscious. Be okay with images or phrases that don’t make logical sense. Write until your irritation has been expressed and only lightly revise your poem.



We Can’t All Move to Canada

Demented, narcissist, pathological liar,
Grandiose thinking, self-absorbed fascist, autocratic hypocrite
Who appears to feel superior to everyone,
And shows total disregard for other people
Breaks promises and obligations repeatedly.
Did I mention demented?

I will build a wall 
I will make them pay for the wall
I will clean up the swamp
I will release my tax returns
I will avoid conflicts of interest
I will not be one to take time off for vacations
I will surrounded myself with the best and brightest
I will replace bad healthcare with something wonderful

But together we have the power to resist 
And the power to overcome unbelievable incompetence and a pack of idiot sycophants.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." 
Edmund Burke

2 comments:

Geo. said...

Excellent poetic dissent. I try not to think of politics after 2 a.m., but must commend your artistic restraint regarding that thing in D.C. My contribution to Poetry Month is at http://trainrideoftheenigmas.blogspot.com/

Now to bed, where misrule cannot intrude.

Anonymous said...

Try not to hold back; if you've got something to say, just say it!!