Saturday, February 3, 2018

IRONSTONE

I've finished and posted a new watercolor at my Etsy Site - Watercolors by Leenie.

It is of an antique pitcher and basin I saw on a table in the ghost town of Custer, Idaho. 

Late in the 1800's Custer, Idaho was a booming gold mining town. When the gold played out it was abandoned. Today Custer has been restored and preserved for history. Some of the items in the buildings were left behind by former inhabitants. Others are antiques from that era.
 
By a sunny window decorated with lace curtains, this pitcher and basin reflected the light. I tried to capture the pearlescent colors and the shine of the surfaces. All the time I was painting I was thinking of pioneer women who brought fine china to display in their houses as they worked to call this rustic place home.

"Ironstone" is my 11x15 inch ORIGINAL WATERCOLOR painted on Arches 140cp watercolor paper with Winsor Newton and Daniel Smith professional pigments. This is a one of a kind work of art.

5 comments:

Linda Sue said...

the background intrigues me, like the pouring on wet rice paper technique. Very nice!

jabblog said...

That is beautiful - you've captured the finish perfectly.

Buttons alias Grace said...

Your work is absolutely gorgeous but I have told you that many times. Incredible. HUGS B I had to change my blog address:) if you were looking for me lol

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

My partner and I stumbled over here by a different website and thought I may as well check things out.
I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward
to looking at your web page repeatedly.