Sunday, November 21, 2010

NO BONES ABOUT IT

Deep in a clear, cold lake in Montana live fat rainbow and brown trout.  
When they get big as your arm, my Dear Hubby and his fishing friends
 lure them from their lair and bring them home.

...So fresh you can still see the surprise in their eyes.

 Then DH sharpens his fillet knife
 and prepares their salmon-colored meat for cooking and freezing.

The head comes off.

…A slice down the back.

 The meat is skillfully separated from bone.

These fish feed on tiny fresh water shrimp 
which gives the flesh the bright color and delicate flavor

The fillet on the other side comes off the same way.

 Then the meat is sliced away from the skin.

 In a very short time you have fresh trout feelays.  
You can grill it, broil it, bake it, sauté it.  There’s trout kabobs,
 pan fried, breaded and deep fried, trout cakes, 
lemon trout, pepper trout, trout and potatoes…that’s about it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I please come for dinner!! I like to take the head and tail off, (having bought the fish already gutted!!) then stuff the cavity with slices of lemon and herbs, then cook it in the oven. I had just written a long comment on your last post when I lost my internet connection and the comment vanished, never to be seen again!! But briefly, my car (Ford Fiesta) has a heated windscreen, which is brilliant!!

Janie said...

That looks like a winter's worth of gourmet meals!

TALON said...

Gorgeous! Rainbow trout - my absolute favorite! What a wonderful catch!

ELIZABETH said...

sigh
I love fresh fish.
Fishermen husbands are a treasure. Wish I had one.

Anzu said...

I think the fish are surely surprised that they were cooked so delicious.
(*^_^)_o/ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄>゚)))≫彡 ~ ~ ~

genevieve said...

oh dear, that's two more husbands I need then - a fishing one and a gardening/fixit one.
What beautiful fish!!!

susan m hinckley said...

I make Russ clean his pheasant off-premises. You are such a nice wife!

Linda Sue said...

Those are the most beautiful trout EVER! Since you are what you eat...says alot about you and your pulchatudinous splendor! what a skillful job deboning those tender fishies- oh YUM! Nothing like it in the universe!

Anairam said...

That is a whole load of trout! I am still a bit off fish after my allergy scare, but I have SO been missing eating fish ...

Kilauea Poetry said...

OK..I want your favorite recipe!! This is a lot of work!! Very nice presentation here Leenie! You know..there are divers and fishers on my husbands side (son too..though not so often anymore)..but my husband gets pretty tired after a long day and bringing a fish that needs to be cleaned is almost too much (he'll procrastinate) except for lobster as it's a piece of cake! Just wanted to say that it takes skill. This looks like Salmon to me (my favorite) and I cooked some last night! Come on..I want your dish!! We should post one for Friday!! (lol)

Butternut Squash said...

I just had rainbow trout at the Bonefish Grill. Yum!

I love fish but I do a lousy job of cooking it.

Leeny, I got your donation for the Library. Thank you so much! Little by little it is coming in. My church will do a fundraiser Dec. 5 and I will put up pictures as soon as the project is underway.

Peace!

Maude Lynn said...

Oh, I'm jealous!