Wednesday, November 9, 2011

McCRADY'S PLACE

McCrady's Place is an old farmstead.  The only thing left is the house.  
All the other outbuildings have been torn down to make way for a big field.  
It was a picture just waiting to be painted.

I added a picket fence to balance the composition 
and ended up using some pretty bright colors.  
The brightness kind of took away from the lonely feeling of the place.  
I'm not sure that was the effect I wanted. 

So I painted another one, this time later in the day when the sky 
was going into a pink sunset.  The grasses still turned out too bright 
to say, "Lonely."  I guess my optimistic nature rebels at drabness.  
I put both of them up for sale on my Etsy site.  Which one do YOU prefer?

13 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i do prefer the 2nd one with more muted colors. very, very nice!

Maria's Watercolor said...

I think I like the top one, like the bright cheeriness of it!

Terry and Linda said...

I like the top one. I also am always impressed at your very talented self.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Debbie said...

gorgeous...if i had to pick, i would pick the first one!!

gorgeous....i love yellow!!

CarrieBoo said...

That's a tough one, but I think maybe I'm liking the contrasting colours of the top one just that little bit more. It's a neat way to see watercolours used. But then I also think "lonely" can be a good thing because that's where the magic happens. :)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Man I hate that I have to pick they are both beautiful. I guess the bottom one. I love the name McCrady's I wish that was my name I love the sound of it.

Funny note, word verification is picks .... weird:) B

Anonymous said...

I've been scrolling up and down between the two, and I can't decide - I like the house and foreground in the first one - but I love the sky of the second one!

Anzu said...

It's your precious talent making various changed colors in seasons on the pallet. d(゚-^*)♪
Dare I say it・・・, the second one.
It's more impressive.

Anairam said...

They are both beautiful. I think I like the 2nd one best, though. Lonely & sad & slighly pessimistic appeals to me!

Leenie said...

That's four for the first one and five for the second one. You people are NOT helping!

Lacey said...

beautiful paintings, I have painted in oils and acrylics but have only dabbled in watercolors. I have always wanted to learn more about it though.

Kim said...

I like them all...talented and beautiful

Dawn said...

Okay....scrolling through more of your work....it's AMAZING! You are a truly gifted artist.
Just beautiful..