Monday, May 10, 2010

I PICK UP HITCHHIKERS

So I was out with my camera having a great time

taking pictures of the new spring leaves on the cottonwoods and…

ducks and...

vanishing bunnies.


At the same time I was dodging nasty things

like burdock thistles

and cockle burrs.


I thought I’d gotten home safely. But discovered I’d picked up a bunch of hitchhikers.

These sticky prickles have many names such as sticktights, beggar’s ticks and hound’s tongue.

I had some other names for them.


A burr is a seed or dry fruit in which the seeds bear hooks or teeth which attach themselves to fur or clothing of passing animals or people. The hooks or teeth can be irritants and very hard to get off of clothing, such as wool or cotton. It was the inspiration for Velcro.

8 comments:

Jill said...

The cat has a few names for them too when I am pulling them out of his fur!!
Glad spring has arrived with you at last.

Anonymous said...

In the country these prickles used to drive me crazy. Also our family had a pekinese when I was a child. We spent so long cutting things like this (and worse!)out of his fur, particularly as his little body was so close to the ground.I've never had a long haired pet since!Thanks for your comment on my post Leenie, and good luck also with helping your family move.

Paul C said...

Wonderful photos. Burrs, the inspiration for velcro...thanks for that interesting tidbit.

Krista said...

What I hate is goat head thorns! Were they the inspiration for nails? They aren't as nice to photograph, though. Or step on and make a hole straight through your shoe.

Linda Sue said...

Cool I wonder if you collected a bunch of velcro burrs and lined them up on a wool weaving or felted thing if you could create a sort of story board like the felt kind in school ecept all natural? You should try it...

Butternut Squash said...

Beautiful photos as always.

I finally posted the pictures of the kids in Nepal receiving your books. Thank you so much!

DayPhoto said...

Hate those burrs. Fuzzy gets upset because he can't get them out of his fur so I just cut them out. I'll be glad when I can give him his summer haircut.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Kilauea Poetry said...

Looks like you did (I know about that)..these are great and that photo of the burdock thistle looks gorgeous..almost like in sepia!
Regina-