Monday, January 3, 2011

WHEN TAKING A PASS IS NOT THE EASY WAY OUT

When we leave Tater Pickin' Idaho by way of Interstate 15 
for Turkey Pluckin' Utah in the spring... 

...the highway looks like this.

In the winter the trip is something else.

This is Malad (malad meaning BAD) pass.
Not only is there snow and ice...

...but there are snow plows kicking up powder and lowering visibility.
As much as we appreciate the work they do to clear the way...

...it was a relief to put this big guy in the rear view mirror.

This is another item we like to see behind us.

We travel down into Utah as the eighteen wheelers race up.

In the spring Northern Utah is green and scenic.

In the winter Northern Utah is, well, white and scenic.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit with family.  We stayed for 
two days and didn't return until the cows came home.

8 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I really enjoyed this Leenie as I have visited Utah in the Summer - interesting to see what it is like in winter time. brrrr!

TALON said...

We have those areas here of open stretches on the highways where the wind wreaks havoc on driving conditions in the winter...and yet when you look at your beautiful shots I can't help thinking how lovely it is...as long as you're not driving in it!

Anonymous said...

I'd rather have the green and scenic! Super photos showing the contrast. Do visit this week, as I am having a very special giveaway!

Sarah said...

Interesting to see the difference between the winter and summer views. Malad pass sounds a bit challenging to the driver! Glad the trip was worth it though and you had fun!
I was -well my car was sprayed with salty grit the other day by the gritting lorry out on the main road to my Dad's. That was the limit of the difficulty though as the road was clear, despite the snowy views all around.

Jill said...

Wow - just so B I G

Butternut Squash said...

Winter or Spring, that is some beautiful countryside! Stay warm and safe.

DayPhoto said...

That's the way I feel about I-70 over the Rocky Mountains to Denver...ick.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/

Maude Lynn said...

I can't even imagine driving in that!