Thursday, April 21, 2011

NEW TOYS, NEW ART

A feature in my April copy of Watercolor Artist 
encouraged me to hurry out and buy a set of watercolor pencils.

 Who am I to ignore such a direction??  I ordered a small set of Faber-Castell –Albrecht Durer Watercolour Pencils.  They came in a satisfying metal box.  Almost too delicious to use.

I found them great for sketching and fine details.  This discovery took me to making a set of ACO’s (Art Card Originals) which are the same size as baseball cards and are traded and collected in the same way.

I made a dozen cards with paintings of sailboats.

 I’ve only been on a sailboat a couple of times, 
but loved the ride and the way they look.

 Some of the pictures were from a sailboat race 
I saw with Linda Sue on a sunny day in Bellingham, Washington.

 Another was from a quiet morning on Orcas Island Sound.

For others I used reference photos taken…

 …while riding the big super ferries…

 …in Puget Sound.  The watercolor pencils were perfect for adding tiny details yet, because they contain actual watercolor pigment the colors can be lifted, blended, textured and layered with water.  Cool tools! 

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Just stunning! They would make a great little book with attached tales of sailboats and holidays.
Your gardening class sounds good. Wouldn't it be lovely if every meal was brightened by colourful flowers!

susan m hinckley said...

Gorgeous cards! I've toyed with the idea of making some myself and carried a package of them around the store with me just a week or so ago, putting them back in a moment of reality-checking just before I left. I agree with Sarah -- a little book of boats might be just the thing.

TALON said...

Such beautiful paintings, Leenie! And such detail in such a small size. Those pencils look amazing. I love new art supplies - it always gets the creative juices flowing. I bet you had some wonderful hours creating those beauties!

Anonymous said...

something dreamy about sailboats, dont you think?

lizziviggi said...

They are just beautiful, Leenie! One of those sailboats racing in Bellingham could belong to a good friend of mine, who does lots of the local sailboat races. I love watching the boats, but don't enjoy going out on them much because I am, alas, prone to seasickness. It's very inconvenient, especially when you have a good friend with a boat!

Anonymous said...

The cards are fantastic - I want to go out on one of those boats .... despite the fact that I get seasick!!

Jill said...

You have certainly put your new toys to good use.

Linda Sue said...

Leenie- only you can make those pencils work so well. I have had some for years and what ever comes from them looks like crayola on packing paper.Your boats are just like BOATS in the sound!!! Exactly! except less of a hole in the water in which to toss cash...

Anairam said...

Hey - I have a set of water colour pencils just like that! But can I draw beautiful yachts? No. I am going to return them and ask for my money back.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Leenie I love your art you are truly talented my daughter and my brother are amazing artists so I appreciate your talent I have been around art most of my life.I can't even draw a stick person. Have fun with those new pencils we have some of them here K uses them. B

jeanie said...

Oh lovely!!

Regina said...

Sounds fun (I felt your excitement)and they are all terrific!
Wishing you a wonderful Easter:)