Sunday, April 26, 2020

NaPoWriMo--DAY TWENTY SIX


NaPoWriMo PROMPT: For this prompt, you will need to fill out, in five minutes or less, the following “Almanac Questionnaire.” Then, use your responses as to basis for a poem.

The Wendigo
Whiteout

Snowing. No, a blizzard 
Five days of blizzard. 
Earl has been gone for three. 
Went off through the evergreens 
Leaving me in this reeking cabin 
With a barrel of pinto beans, 
A hind quarter of frozen moose, 
A bag of dog food, 
And two sled dogs. 

My dreams of 
Being eaten alive by wolves 
Have returned. 
Seeing those huge tracks 
By the junk cars in town 
Didn’t help. 
I’m supposed to be 
Guarding our stash of beaver pelts. 
What a joke. 

The newspaper left by 
Crazy Harlan 
Was full of conspiracies 
About poison snow. 
And an escaped llama 
That shut down the Juneau Airport. 

After he took off for Fairbanks 
I saw he’d written “I wish I was Banksy” 
On our barn wall. 
Maybe he will send me a letter. 
"The weather is fine in Cancun." 
I’ll send him a postcard of a moose. 

So I sit here dressed in layers 
Of wool sweaters and fleece 
Listening to the howling wind 
Or howling wolves 
I can’t tell. 
It’s grim. 

I cheer myself up by remembering 
Playing in the river 
When I was a kid. 
Then I think about 
The Kraken. 
And then The Wendigo, 
The cannibal monster 
That lives in the north woods. 

And what if this whole world 
Is really just a snow globe. 
And the sky is a glass dome 
And someone is getting ready 
To drop and break it?

No comments: