Friday, September 11, 2009

GULLS AND MADRONA TREES, Orcas Island


Orcas Island, Washington State. The reddish trees are Madronas (Arbutus menziesii). They grow along a broad band of the Pacific Northwest. "The Madrona, clad in thin, smooth, red and yellow bark and big glossy leaves, seems in the dark coniferous forests of Washington and Vancouver Island, like some lost wanderer from the magnolia groves of the South." plantguide.org


Bowl made of the wood from a Madrona tree by Rob Thornber
"The wood of the madrona is especially hard, but is tricky to season, and rarely used for buildings or furniture making, although the beauty of the wood makes it well worth the effort for those up to the challenge."

3 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Leenie That bowl is gorgeous I have never seen anything made from madronna! I love how they look like suntanned muscles- I found a piece of bark while walking Dexter yesterday- would love to incorporate it into a felted piece somehow...tell me how!
The sun was actually HOT today! YAY! I thought of you.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Linda Sue
that bowl is a delight.

Linda Sue said...

About the pin cushions- I made 38 of them last year for the weavers guild sale and they sold out within two hours, it's my get -the- hell- out- of- here fund!