Saturday, May 29, 2010

MEMORIAL DAY

"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry


"When you remember me, it means that you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart.

For as long as you remember me, I am never entirely lost." ~ Frederick Buechner
 
Original watercolor  "Payette River and Deer" 2008 by Eileen Black

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

a beautiful painting

Jill said...

Beautifully painted Leenie, and quotations to hold in the heart.

Elizabeth said...

I do so hope your words are true, Leenie.
I always try to remember all those who lost their lives much too young for the sake of us who have happier lives for their sacrifice,
War makes me so terribly sad since the quarrels are so often between politicians and not the young people who fight.

Aside from that, a most lovely water color!

b said...

Beautiful painting. And great words. I love Buechner. With a good friend who just got word her cancer is growing fast again, those were good words for me to read this morning. Thanks, Leenie. B.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful painting!! And a very moving quote.

Linda Sue said...

I remember YOU!
Love your painting- it is so quiet. Refreshing- appropriate for the holiday instead of the noise of the grande parade and carnival in town!

Krista said...

I love that thought. Your painting is beautiful, too. I totally respect you as an artist!

Kilauea Poetry said...

This is a terrific tribute- watercolor and quote! I read a few from Buechner but haven't seen this one- a great selection! My best-

Kilauea Poetry said...

I have to mention the capture of the train along with the hawk is fantastic..and the quote from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was perfect!