Sunday, March 6, 2011

STIRRUPS AND PAPER DRESSES



A little while ago I finally got myself to my doctor for one of THOSE exams.  You know, the one ladies my age are supposed to have often but put off for—okay--years.  While my doctor had me on her exam table she did some checking and found a lump in my breast, another lump on my right ovary and something suspicious in the right side of my uterus.  Ruined my day.

My doctor immediately set up an appointment with a radiologist and also referred me to a gynecologist/surgeon.  The mammogram showed a cyst that looked benign, but they wanted me back in six months to check for changes.  After two different ultrasounds below my belly button the diagnosis was:  fibroid tumors in my uterus and an ovarian cyst.  I was told they looked non cancerous, but the gynecologist said he couldn’t be certain.  I was given the choice of wait and see, or surgery. Since I wasn’t planning to use my uterus again and since fibroids run in my family, I didn’t think waiting was a good option.  I’m scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. 

The gynecologist spent a lot of time with me explaining his background and experience in surgery and some of the procedures.  He never used the word, “hysterectomy,” probably because it’s so close to the word hysterical.  He called it “reconstructive surgery” and promised to also fix some other body parts that had been pulled from their moorings during a difficult delivery of a nine pound baby a long time ago. 

I explained to my boss that I’d be out of commission for two or three weeks.  He was very sympathetic and understanding. I mentioned that I hoped I could keep the one ovary.  He asked me why I wanted to keep my ovaries.  I really wanted to ask him right then if he wanted to keep his testicles, but thought better of it.


I’m getting my head around the idea of knives cutting me while I’m unconscious and the surrendering of my internal lady parts. Since they have been on vacation for several years, I’m hoping I won’t miss them too much. My biggest mistake was looking up bilateral uterine surgery on the internet.  Way, way too much information!

So I’m back to scrubbing my house and doing what I can to keep my mind too busy to think about Tuesday.  So far I’m making good progress on the first project and failing miserably on the second.

 Maybe I’ll get some good drugs out of this.  I guess I should shave my legs. 

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very best wishes for the surgery - I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday. The last time I had a mammogram, Malcolm was a bit unsympathetic, until I told him to imagine having his tackle clamped between two plates and squeezed .....

Sarah said...

Oh no! But it is good in a way that it has all been found and can be sorted out. Also the fact it is only Tuesday-not too long to have to worry. I know neither of these things are much compensation though! I hope it all goes well!

TALON said...

Leenie, I would have loved to have seen the doctor's face if you had asked him about keeping his testicles. And I hope you were wearing those clown socks in the stirrups! Those are awesome!

My daughter-in-law just had a suspicious lump removed from her breast and waiting for the results was the worst part. It turned out okay, but it was a tense time. So I'm glad you don't have to wait too long though I'm sure Tuesday seems so far away (and probably too close at the same time). I can only imagine how difficult it is to distract yourself right now from all sorts of thought-scenarios.

Leenie, I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...

Linda Sue said...

Oh LEENIE! DANG! I was so sure that the surgery , when I had it, would be a snap ...but it surprised me- a lot. I'm sure you will sail through ,(morphine is good) you are so healthy and spunky. You WILL be just fine, I insist! I do not like this news at all...You must be a baby and get someone to fetch stuff for you- goes against your nature I am sure, milk it (for the rest of your life!)...Wish I was next door to do your bidding.
( by the way, there is no garbage can on my comment page, just a date under the comment)
I will be thinking about you on Tuesday...and Wednesday and Thursday and and and....I will be holding your cute little virtual hand and saying things that will make you not want to laugh- not allowed for a while...LOVE! love! LOVE!
Oh and for insurance reasons they tend to want to get you out of hospital immediately- tell them "hell no- I won't go" - trust me- the hospital is better than trying to recover at home. Too many demands at home and even if you don't have to pick up the kids make dinner and take the dog out the stress of knowing that it all wants doing slows recovery. OUCH- sending best thoughts and wishes and love!You are hearty- you will be just fine- the drugs are indeed dreamy.

susan m hinckley said...

My mother has always said, "After 50 it's a laugh a minute." I'm only 47 but already don't think it's very funny (I have an MRI on my head tomorrow and my first cardiologist appt. on Weds.)

If I could pay someone to do a hysterectomy, I would. I've been done with the darn thing for years! But having just had my estrogen levels checked at an exam last week, my doctor assured me that I'll keep chugging along for AT LEAST another month (if not 10 years . . .) I wanted to punch him.

Good wishes and blessings for you that you'll have the best possible outcome. Blogger friends everywhere will be thinking of you Tuesday. (And afterward you'll be able to stop worrying, which is worth a lot.)

susan m hinckley said...

And I LOVED the title of this post.

KBlack said...

Byron says...haven't used it in a few years? Try....We love you and miss you sooo much. Wish we could be there to make you dinner. The kids told us they wanted to join us in our fast for blessings for you. xoxoxox

Janie said...

Sorry to hear you're having surgery. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Mrs Catch said...

Glad you didn't have to wait too long to have it sorted. Good Luck.

Linda Sue said...

Trash can WHERE? I swear on my computer there is not a trash can anywhere except the one in my mind...Yours does not have one either, Maybe I need to change something in the motor...Your surgery- are they doing it through the yoohoo or through the bikini cut?

Linda Sue said...

OH nevermind I found delete on the the page I never look at! Aha!Now I know how- yippeee!

Leenie said...

L.S. Good question. The answer is yes.

Anairam said...

Oh no!! I am thinking of you, dear Leenie. Get it sorted out as soon as possible is the best decision you could have made. WIll think about you tomorrow (in your paper dress - brrrr - I hope they have adequate heating in the hospital!)

Anonymous said...

oh no... that is not a fun situation to be in. i hope it all goes well. the sooner it is over and done with the better, right? i will be thinking of you!


and i loved the title and was giggling at the thought of asking your boss about whether he wanted to keep his testicles. :)

hugs!

Gayle said...

I am sending good healing wishes. Holding good thoughts and prayers. Mend well and soon. Thank you for sharing with us.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Leenie good luck on the surgery but you won't need any YOU WILL BE FINE.
I love your humour it will get you through anything. I know this from experience.
Never I mean never look up something on the internet in the medical sense it can scare you to death.
Shave your legs that sucks but I do love the socks I have a similar pair. I will be thinking of you. Wear the funniest socks you have I did and when I woke up since they let me keep them on I knew I would be fine and they made me smile.
B

Regina said...

I'm going to pretend we're the best of friends..so I'm going to tell you to just- woe horsey..I was diagnosed with a very big fibroid in my uterus. I bled for over three months which finally made me go check it out (not a lot but consistant)..anyway, my doctor told me its so common and generally just goes away with meno. I would (for what it'ts worth) just try a cleanse but loved your thought (would he want to keep his testicles)? Surgery..I think it would be good to hear the stories of what other women thought about afterwards? It would never hurt to not rush. My 2 cents..hope your doing ok as it can be scary.
On a side..it stopped. Well I felt like I was wearing a diaper all the time and yet I wanted to hug the person who invented liners (lol)..I did tell my doctor that much! (hugs)

Flea said...

Oh Leener! I'm so sorry! But so glad they caught this and are taking care of it. {{{HUGS}}}

DayPhoto said...

Sending prayer to Heaven for you!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com