Friday, June 10, 2011

THE GRANDEST MOUNTAINS

The Grand Teton Mountains rise like a picket fence along the border between south-east Idaho and western Wyoming.

Their profile is much the same from any angle on the Idaho side.

On the Wyoming side their appearance changes dramatically from every location.  This is the view from Grand Teton Lodge, a high rent national park hotel which has a nice bathroom just off the lobby.

DH and I have lived just an hour and a half's drive from The Grand Tetons for a long time.  We went through Yellowstone Park and Grand Teton Park on our honeymoon.  It was pouring rain and we never even saw the mountains, but we didn’t much care.

We’ve gone back to visit almost every year.  The view never ceases to make me get a little crazy with my camera.  This shot was one of those set-the-timer-and-run pictures.  We were on our way back home from a motorcycle trip to Cody, Wyoming and a little road weary.


Back again with friends on another motorcycle excursion and a hike around Jenny Lake.

 Before the place became insanely crowded it was a great place to do a little family camping.


Who couldn’t resist a view like this from your picnic table?


DH and I even hiked up to Lake Solitude where we could see The Grand up close at around ten thousand feet.  The trail looked so easy on the map.  How can miles up a mountain path be so much longer than miles along a sidewalk?

"The North Face" transparent watercolor 18x24 in. 140 cp
That view inspired this watercolor painting which I gave to DH to hang in his office on campus.  It helped us remember the good times and not the blisters on our feet. See more of my paintings here.

The Tetons have served as a backdrop for several trips to the July 4th Balloon Fest.

Sometimes our trip through the park is slowed by the locals.

If you go there REEEEAALY early in the morning in October you can hear the eerie sound of the elk bugle, and most likely get to see the big bulls as they show off for their cows.

This year, even though we went in June, the Tetons were still sporting a deep snow pack.  Any climber who wants to bag the 13,775 (4199 m) Grand is going to have to wear his snow boots.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What amazing scenery!! I haven't forgotten about sending you the apple/sultana cake recipe - I just have been a bit disorganised!

Flea said...

WOW. Someday. Hopefully someday in the next five years. That is AMAZING.

TALON said...

Absolutely stunning! How fabulous to have such magnificence so close by. And your painting for DH is stunning. What a beautiful reminder, Leenie. You are a such a talented artist. Don't the years after the honeymoon fly by? My hubby and I will be celebrating our 31st anniversary next week - sometimes it feels like we got married just a year or two ago (and I won't discuss how long it feels at other times - lol)

Debbie said...

breathtaking scenes, beautiful photo's.....

i enjoyed this twice!!!!

Anzu said...

Wonderful nature and happy couples.
I'm happy to get to know you.

Linda Sue said...

Your painting is better than the real thing- I mean that sincerely and my nose has not grown a foot- Your painting made me gasp and sigh and just marvel! Really amazing, Leenie- you are the SHIT!!

Linda said...

The first time I saw the Grand Tetons I was 14...I fell in love with them then and still feel that way.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

how beautiful! i am eagerly awaiting my trip to the cascade mountains next month.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh what incredible photos. I just want to jump on a plane, train or car and go.
I love your water colour you have such talent.
Oh you make me want to fly. Great adventures and memories. Thanks for the trip Leenie. B

lizziviggi said...

I know it's a cliche, but they're simply breathtaking. There's just no better way to say it! I have the sudden urge to pack up our little vintage trailer and go there RIGHT NOW! It looks like you guys have had some amazing times there. Isn't it wonderful to be surrounded by beauty right in your own backyard?

Gorgeous painting, too.

susan m hinckley said...

Thanks again for the mountain fix, Leenie -- someone else sent me a picture of mountains this morning hoping to lure me back to the west. I wonder if there's something going on in the cosmos and I ought to be paying attention?

That watercolor is beautiful. My husband's office has collected all kinds of art from myself and the girls through the years, but I'm not sure there's anything he'd be as proud to own as that painting.

Carla said...

Beautiful painting!! Lucky hubby!
"How can miles up a mountain path be so much longer than miles along a sidewalk?"--I think the answer lies in the question. "Up". :)